Monday, March 30, 2009

what do bits of leather and a hockey puck have in common...

... they both could pass as a steak cooked me.

I tenderize. I marinade. I season. I sautee onions. And all I am left with for my efforts is a piece of dry chewy meat I can't even get the dog to eat. I mean it didn't even taste like meat. How do you do that?!

...this constant diet of TV dinners is depressing.


Thom Curnutte said...

Here's one you can't foul up:

1 can cream of mushroom (or chicken) soup

Enough rice (white, brown, long, doesn't matter) for you and the youngin'

Enough boneless, skinless chicken breast for you and the youngin'


Brown chicken in large skillet in oil (olive oil is the best).

Add cream of mushroom soup, rice, and enough water to cover the mixture.

Cook on medium heat until the rice is cooked and most of the water cooks out- rice should be creamy. (Don't worry about overcooking the rice.)



(The neat thing is that even though your meat turns into hockey pucks, the water/soup combo will keep it moist, in spite of your culinary skills.


Thom Curnutte said...

(If you can do that one, I'll send you another, if you're interested.)

Cathy said...

Put this into a crock pot:

3 boneless skinless chix breast, cubed

1 packet Italian Dressing mix, dry

1 can (12 oz) mushroom gravy

1 block cream cheese, cubed

1 c milk

4 oz can chiles, if you like a little heat.

Cook six hours.

I add about half a bag of egg noodles just before serving. It takes about 10 minutes for them to cook to tender.

Voila. Good, homemade comfort food that cooked itself.

Rita said...

If you're still after steak, it really does depend on the cut but there are a few simple rules that work for me:

Make sure it is at room temperature before cooking.

Do not season with salt before cooking as this toughens the meat.

Gently massage it in your finger tips making sure the muscle/meat is relaxed before cooking and pat dry with kitchen towel.

Grill, don't fry, and turn every minute.

BTW, the massaging may be pure superstition, but the carnivores at home don't usually complain about my steaks.

kired said...

My long experience as a bad cook suggests you are leaving your steak alone while you are vaccuming. If that is the case, use your alarm clock.

Carolina Cannonball said...

kired... do you own a spy cam?!

Fr. Erik Richtsteig said...

Don't listen to em CC. It takes talent to make jerky.

Carolina Cannonball said...

LOL. Fr. Erik, that I am, the jerky expert.

berenike said...

Nice beef, bash it with a tenderiser (or whatever it's called), chop it into small pieces, a little water, cook very slowly for a very long time adding water as needed (and/or red wine). Add to spuds or pasta. You can put in sliced mushrooms sometime towards the end.

Also if you freeze meat it is more tender afterwards.

I once burnt a boiled egg, and yesterday I managed to burn boil-in-the-bag rice, and even I can do this beef.

Bashing your steak is generally a good idea if tenderness is an issue.