Sunday, April 26, 2009

cannoball camping...

... or the twelve things I learned this weekend.


Photo courtesy, Vincenzo.

1- roosters not only crow at dawn; they can crow at 1am,2am,3am,4am ...
2- I conquered my fear of bugs.
3- Boys never outgrow potty humor; a grown man will still laugh at fart jokes.
4- Drinking warm water after hiking four miles will make you vomit.
5- Bats like me.
6- So do spiders.
7- Being grateful it was only a frog in your bed roll.
8- If you stink bad enough you won't notice how bad others smell.
9- If you stink bad enough mosquitoes won't notice you either.
10- If your hungry enough MRE are pretty freaking tasty!
11- Crown Royal makes for an excellent fireside night cap.
12- I absofreakinlutely love camping and can't wait to do it again!

I'm sore, exhausted, slightly traumatized from the bats, and have blisters covering both my feet but my son and I had the best time at Scout camp. For first timers we did ok; I didn't embarrass him too much. I was the reluctant camper to start but after trying to apply eye liner at 6:00am by lamp light with no mirror I laughed at myself and decided to roll with it.

I'm glad I did. I never would have had the patience otherwise to handle the giggling farting boys in one tent and their snoring fathers in the other. Once I got over my fear of dirt and a silly little thing called "personal hygiene" we had a blast.

In fact, I had so much fun I made plans with another family to camp with them next month.

I must be crazy.

5 comments:

kired said...

I guess you should master that eye liner technique :-D

D. Burns said...

camping is always great fun. even though I am an Assistant Scoutmaster I haven't been on too many camp outs lately because I usually work weekends.

btw where did you find this icon?
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_TzorWGX-a9A/SaR3BOko5-I/AAAAAAAAGO4/XO5fPwzpVU4/S1600-R/crucifixion_i.jpg

Sieglinde said...

Good for you! We've been campers since the checs were wee tiny; we all enjoy it a lot and are happy that you've discovered the joys of 'roughing it'.

Cathy_of_Alex said...

Liquid liner?

I'm glad you gave it a chance. I'm sure your son appreciates the effort you made.

Mimosas in the morning: Cathy's key to a sucessful camping trip.

Argent said...

All green leaves make you scratchy. Even non-poisonous ones. Brushing against them makes you think, "Was that poisonous? Are you sure?" Pretty soon, you're scratching up a storm and your skin is all red.

~from a wife of an Eagle Scout and mom to two Eagle Scouts and one more on the path.