Friday, May 22, 2009

fruits of the spirit ...

... the Cannonball Awards are winding down to the last day. With one day left to vote I thought I would take a moment in defense of my creation; the anti-award.

It would seem many are confused about the Cannonball Awards purpose with wild speculations flying about the spirit in which they were created. My intent has always been, first and foremost, humor.

It's the anti-award, absolutely not to be taken seriously... at least not as seriously as those other "real awards". Why people get all worked over blogger awards always baffled me... maybe it's because I never have a shot in hell in winning a coveted "real award". I digress. You know the type of blog I am referring too, the one where the administrator is pimping their readers for votes... every. single. day. in every. single. post.

There are no prizes in The Cannonball Awards and no recognition. You won't get famous and offered a job as a freelance writer opening doors to becoming a Nobel Prize author selling millions of books and having thousands of adoring fans.

I can't even promise your stat counter will bump up a visitor or two.

The only claim I can make it that you will discover many many wonderful not-so-well know-but-equally-uplifting/humorous/informative blogs as those famous Power Bloggers.

It's a celebration of great blogs written by regular people. It's a poke at ourselves and own desperate need for affirmation and recognition. It's a chance to discover a new blog or two. It's a chance to not take ourselves so seriously and just have a good laugh.

Who could find fault with those intentions?

As a result, the spirit of the Cannonball Awards has yielded some great Fruits!

Fruit #1
Fruit #2
Fruit #3

14 comments:

Paul, just this guy, you know? said...

I won one last year, I won't win this year, but hey, I think they're fun!

What more could anyone expect?

Adoro said...

For the record, I like your anti-awards. They're hilarious!

A blog post I did on the topic in general actually was about the "real" ones.

Anonymous said...

A new Pope Benedict site:
http://www.pope2you.net

M. Alexander said...

If these blogs are so good, how come you haven't heard of them?

I remain skeptical.

Oh and for next year I really think you need a new category:

"My Favorite Feeneyite blog"

The Ironic Catholic said...

Kat, I got it. I think they're very funny. Thanks for doing it.

LarryD said...

CC, this was a lot of fun. And even though it looks like I won't win an anti-award, my therapist will certainly be grateful for all the hard work you did.

leo said...

"There are no prizes in The Cannonball Awards and no recognition. You won't get famous and offered a job as a freelance writer opening doors to becoming a Nobel Prize author selling millions of books and having thousands of adoring fans."Oh, great! Now that I have 20.000 calling-cards printed you tell me?

carrol said...

Thank you for such amazing information.... if you love fruits just like me....please check out the blog mentioned below its really cool....!!!im sure you'll love it!!!

http://staysharpwithfruits.blogspot.com
http://staysharpwithdiet.blogspot.com

Terry Nelson said...

What's with this post? Is Digit winning? Or were you just guilted by Adoro? LOL! Kidding!

No I'm not.

Yes I am.

No I'm not.

Yes I am.

Just imagine how embarrassed Fr. R is now.

Lee Strong said...

I just sidestepped the whole mess and gave myslef my own award - the Blah Blog Award.

(http://backpew.blogspot.com/2009/05/my-blah-blog-award.html)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

You know the type of blog I am referring too, the one where the administrator is pimping their readers for votes... every. single. day. in every. single. post.

Funnily enough, that totally describes the monster I became in pursuit of an anti-award . . .

Laura The Crazy Mama said...

I am just honored to have been nominated.

No, I'm not. I really wanted to win.

So, is there some sort of "third tier" award for the people who lose the anti-awards?

Steve Dillard (aka Feddie) said...

That is why took pimping to new levels in my pursuit of winning, in celebration of these delightful anti-awards.

Oh, and because that Orthometer priest really hacked me off. :)

Lola said...

Next year can we add favorite Amish/Catholic sites (Thems that raise chickens? I have a few in mind) and favorite Housekeeping/Faux Housekeeping sites? (Homeliving Helper is a favorite!)

BTW I've been enjoying visiting many of the nominated sites and THAT is the pure joy of the Cannonball Awards!

Thank you CC and Happy Memorial Day!