Thursday, May 14, 2009

it's no secret I love Catholic Kitcsh...

... but some things are just to tacky for words. [source]

This sculpture for example... commissioned by Fr. David Buckley at St. Philip Neri Catholic church in Uckfield. He claims it has been well received by his parish. To that I say his congregation must be starved for sacred Church art or worse yet, lack a true understanding of the very fundamental nature of Christ.

Fr. Buckley, commenting about the sculpture says; "We felt this design summed up the spirit and activity of Christ perfectly and I think it speaks for itself... The sculpture is simple and direct and I hope it sums up the feeling that Christ is always with us and that we are not to be afraid. His clothing is being blown vigorously to add the sense of him being alive and his strength in defying earthly cares. The clothing is loosely contemporary in order to connect Christ to his people now as much as to his past."

I don't know....



I still think this piece does more to sum the "spirit and activity" of Christ which is His selfless love for us. In His Crucifixion we experience visually the "aliveness" of Our Lord and His Human Nature... only those who are alive can die.

All that tripe excuse for "art" Fr. Buckley's sculpture inspires in his congregation is an erroneous reinforcement that Christ is our buddy and should be brought down to our level instead of exalted on His.

14 comments:

TheSeeker said...

Yeah, awkward skate-boarder Jesus just looks like one of those goofy Baptist youth ministers to me. Trust me...I've seen my fair share. Ugh. It's goofy, dorky, and unfitting of our Savior, IMO. And yes, I'm getting old :-P

LarryD said...

I agree, Cat. The "C'mon, Get Happy!" expression is anti-thetical to Christianity.

Elizabeth said...

Why is the Lord wearing Pajamas???
Well, He certainly seems Happy!
YIKES.

Owen said...

I think if one is looking for an air-Christ in PJs bustin' a groove it's perfect.

Um, Uck-field...doesn't that kind of explain everything?

life without a net said...

Thems are too close to "jazz hands" IMHO.

Anonymous said...

Hmm...at my old Novus Ordo parish, (I now blessedly attend an FSSP chapel)behind the altar was a huge resurrectifix with a clean shaven Jesus with out-stretched arms looking for all the world like he was leaping forth from collective chunks of Double Bubble.

Of course I dubbed Him "Bubble gum Jesus."

The name stuck. Heh, heh, heh...

~ Belloc

Sarah said...

Does that pastor's explanation mean hobo pajamas Jesus was painted with all the colors of the wind?

Ewwwww this is worse than the "disco risen Christ" painting the church near my high school would bring out every Easter

Anonymous said...

Horrifying. Sickening. "Pajama Jesus" has removed all of Christ's dignity and holiness. Just looks like a regular guy stuck to a wall.
-Angela

The Ironic Catholic said...

Here's the way to salvage it--
it isn't Jesus, it's a 20th c saint (pick one), dancing in the glory of heaven, inviting people into the Church. It ain't bad at all that way!

You know, if I went to that parish, that's what I'd be thinking, to save my sanity.

Terry Nelson said...

If the church has rave liturgies - it could work - he needs a light stick though. Techno rules!

Anonymous said...

Tacky as this is, I've seen worse -- a modernist crucifix with nothing to identify it as any human being, let alone Jesus. There's no crown of thorns, no INRI sign, no recognizable human shape. It's just an ugly blob of what looks like concrete suspended from a cross. And yes, that church was built in the mid-60s. There used to be staff of around 6 priests there, now there's only 2, one of whom is quite elderly and ill, plus a deacon. Maybe the parishioners got fed up looking at that ugly piece of crap behind the altar. At least the Uckfield piece is recognizably human, even if it's completely clueless in its presentation of Christ.

Patricia Gonzalez

Laura The Crazy Mama said...

The first thing I thought of when I saw that picture was, "Oh, it looks like he's doing that dance move where you air spank and say 'it's your birthday, it's your birthday', or something" that thing is superscary.

M. Swaim said...

he looks like a model from one of those really annoying Old Navy commercials.

Terry Nelson said...

OMIGOSH - This is Fr. R's church after he watched "Don't Stop the Music"!