Tuesday, September 08, 2009

love is a hot wheel...

... when my son is sick he likes to lay in bed and surround himself with his growing hot wheel collection. He can spend hours sorting them by color, model and series. He will line them up and play traffic, or parking lot... or bounce on the bed and play earth quake providing a soundtrack of screams and pleas.

His hot wheels make him feel better when he is home sick from school. So naturally when some one he loves is not feeling well he gives them his hot wheels to play with.

Today at my doctor's appointment I reached into my purse to grab my wallet and instead pulled out a hot wheel my son had hidden away in there unbeknown to me. The fact that he even parted with a green one, his favorite color, made that little hot wheel the best gift I think I have ever received.

9 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

That's so sweet! It made me reminisce to when my son was that age. Now the only time he reaches into my purse is to borrow money for gas. Enjoy these moments, they pass by like the wind.

(I'm really loving your blog, just found it awhile ago. I noticed you have the same picture of the little communion girl sticking out her tongue--it's on my sidebar, too. I love that girl!)

nazareth priest said...

I love that First Communion girl, too...reminds me of my neice. A real fire-cracker!

USMC 9971 said...

When I'm home sick, or if my daughter thinks that I'm sad or stressed, she will bring me one of her stuffed animals to take care of me. And if she brings me "Bear" (her favorite of all, which was given to her when she was born by her great-grandmother), then I know that she is really concerned about me.

You are blessed to have such a loving son.

Adoro said...

Awww...that's so sweet! A real act of love!

RJW said...

A couple of weeks ago I was quite ill and couldn't get to supper prep. I asked my 15 year old if he would fix baked potatoes for him and his bro and sis. He did and did it well. Then he brought me one (without being asked). You are right about little things being the greatest gifts.

Adrienne said...

A green hot wheel? Closest thing to heaven!!

Watch out for that Mary Ellen. She was lurking around my blog and I found her through my statcounter. She's dang near as funny as you are.

Go visit...

DaveW said...

I loved Hot Wheels when I was a kid. I had tons of them, wish I still had them they're probably worth something to collectors now.

I got my hospital bill yesterday for my heart surgery in May. It was $162,000. The surgeon's bill was 'only' $32k. So a triple bypass and ventricular aneurysm repair runs roughly $200k.

The Ironic Catholic said...

Awwwwwww.

M. Alexander said...

A friend's daughter met "a boy" and he sent her 2 hot wheels. They are 18. Her dream car and the car he drives. Isn't that romantic.