Thursday, January 21, 2010

twilight in the wilderness...


Frederic Edwin Church, c. 1860

One of my favorite from the Hudson River School period.

I find it fascinating that elements found in nature are repeated in our anatomy. Solid contemplation and appreciation of the environment is liken to spending time in a museum. In the wilderness we can experience one of God's creation to the fullest.

I really do think environmentalists have the best of intentions, they just lack a legitimate Christ-centric faith. When you have no real God, intuitively you create a false one. Hence you have a bunch of tree worshipping whack a doodles. They still; however, make more sense to me than any self professed atheist ever will.

9 comments:

Old Bob said...

Nice! Thank you!!

Mary Ellen said...

Gorgeous!

Terry Nelson said...

I agree that elements in nature are repeated in our anatomy - which is why fractal geometry intriques me so. Looking at the back of the pew during a boring homily I detect landscapes in the grain of the wood. I think this is one reason why some people claim to see holy images, eidelons, in nature - concrete stains, in a grain of wood, and so on.

Pilgrims said...

Crescat, I've been enjoying your blog for some months. This is an AMAZING painting!

God Bless,
Fr. Ben

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

This is an old favourite I had forgotten about. I took one look at the tangerine-tinted clouds and everything came rushing back.

Janny said...

What, no one's marked this as sacrilegious yet? :-) That faithful soul must be taking a day off!

Beautiful stuff...

Jane said...

I love Church's paintings. I also love his house, dubbed "Olana." There is tons of tile imported from the Middle East, and the corners of the roof are decorated with teapots!

The Crescat said...

I posted photos of his house once on here before. I'll see if I can locate them in the archives.

Lvka said...

Here's something else you might probably enjoy.