Saturday, April 17, 2010

fear not, Guardsman...

... even though my flight was officially cancelled last night and Italy has closed it's airspace I will not be deterred. By God... if I have to swim there I will!

That didn't sound too crazy did it? Maybe a little.

In all seriousness; here are the latest developments. I am not leaving for Slovenia, Austria and Switzerland this week, obviously.

However; I am still holding out, hope among hope, that I can reschedule my flight and leave for Rome May 1st.

Is there a patron saint against volcanoes with unpronounceable names? If so I invoke your power now. Poof.


kired said...

inhaling the smoke may not be a good idea. How does your avatar looks like with a gas mask?

Rose said...

Off the top of my head, don't they invoke St. Januarius against eruptions of Mount Etna? I seem to have a hazy recollection of this (yeah, because I'm too lazy right now to google it).

snowmanwx said...

Are you still in the States? If so, then you could reschedule your flight, change your destination to Reykjavik (yes, Iceland) and find a ferry [takes three or four days] from thence to Denmark and then a train southward to Italy. Airports in Norway (especially coastal) also may open from time to time. Or you could try a plane to Portugal, stop at Our Lady of Fátima, traverse Spain, perhaps see the original Our Lady of Guadalupe (Extremadura), and take a boat to Rome. Warning: French railways apparently are on strike.

And if you've booked hotels along your current itinerary, then they likely will cancel happily. Just book new ones along your new itinerary.

[Alternatives for the adventurous without visa trouble: the Trans-Siberian Railway and a trip through North Africa.]

PS: I've never left the United States, so don't take my travel advice too literally...just trying to give you some alternative ideas to explore.

Badger Catholic said...

In all seriousness, my family has been praying for you. I hope everything works out.

Sancta Camerinus said...

I now officially dub thee,THE Popes Stalker.

God Bless!

Lola said...

Feast of St. Joseph!

Post photos from Rome!

RFP said...

Saint Agatha of Sicily
(patron saint against volcanic eruptions)
Saint Januarius
(patron saint against volcanic eruptions)