Wednesday, May 19, 2010

when your at home catechism comes back ...

... to bite you in the ass. Or, the moment you realized no matter how well you teach your kids it's ultimately your behavior that is the teaching example.

The sweet tender fruit of my womb was behaving in a particularly obnoxious way; that way that only your own kids can do to irritate you beyond your breaking point. They come pre-wired for that, you know. It was at this point, in my utter exasperation I blasphemed. My son stopped dead in his tracks calculating his next move. I was expecting an apologetic gushing, not the firm reprimand that followed ...

... "You said the Lord's name in vain! You broke a commandment! Now you have to go to confession!"

Schooled by a seven year old. Sigh.

10 comments:

Tim said...

To be clear here, I'm not condoning violence (only threats of violence) but I hope the next words out of your mouth were "the next thing I break isn't going to be a commandment, buster!"

Karen said...

That's great. My eight year old daughter is like that and I think it's hilarious when she starts in on her father. Her pre-Easter Vigil lecture to him on why he shouldn't receive the Eucharist at Mass was a priceless exchange.

The Crescat said...

"the next thing I break isn't going to be a commandment, buster!"

Tim, I am going to have to remember that for next, as I am certian there will be a next time.

PaxetBonum said...

Busted cold, Kat! You definitely lost all moral authority in that go-around. The Boy skated on that offense, I presume, but lest he get cocky let him know that such "Get Out Of Jail Free" cards are few and far between in the real world, and Mom is unlikely to slip up again anytime soon- ;>) P&B.

Rick said...

He's right about that although his manners may need some adjustment. I also curse and I use that as an example of my sins and my struggle to become a man of God. I use it as a lesson in honesty, repentance and approaching the sacrament of Reconciliation. Seeing their parents that way gives them a more realistic view of life.

Faith said...

When my daughter was learning how to talk one of her first words was "damn." She learned, "mama," "dada," "cup," "damndoor."

Badger Catholic said...

Good boy!

Theocoid said...

You could respond, "So did you! Honor your father and mother! We'll both go!"

However, while your error isn't admirable, te fact that he recognized sin for what it is is a good sign. So don't be too hard on yourself.

Magdalene said...

Best response:
Yes, you are right; this will need to be mentioned in my next confession.

In this way you set an example so that when the child does something wrong, he knows it should be mentioned in his next confession.

Out of the mouths of babes inseed!

doctoreric said...

It's worse when your spouse calls you out in front of the children for breaking a commandment when disciplining them. All of a sudden it becomes 5 against 1.