Sunday, June 13, 2010

a get by with a little help from my friends ...

... I am often amused by the question "how do you do it alone?" The answer is, I don't.

Nursing school, a full time job and being a single parent may seem like a colossal burden to carry on one set of shoulders... that's because it would be; on ONE person. It's funny how people assume just because you aren't married you are alone. Granted, I am not immune to feeling exhausted many days but before the bitterness of my situation swallows me whole I realize I am not alone nor will I ever be.

Faith, family and friends... in that order.

I wouldn't trade any of my current blessings for a housekeeper, personal chef, a car without a faulty check engine light, a mansion to live in and a rich spouse to share it with. The spouse, of course, would be a wonderful blessing but wealth is not applicable. Humor, yes. Wealth, not so much. Sorry... ramble ramble ramble.

My point; don't patronize me. I do alright. More than alright. My strength comes from God and my humor is His grace bestowed on me to handle it all. What may be viewed as obstacles to overcome, or by the more uncharitable as "baggage", are really the opportunities given to me to build my faith.

If you are going to pity anyone, pity the untested man.

Note bene: I just realized this is probably one of those posts that makes me singularly odd to my non-Catholics friends who can't grasp how my faith colors my perception. Deo Gratias!

19 comments:

s-p said...

"Pity the untested man..." Well said.

Just another mad Catholic said...

"Pity the untested man", I'm sure that Jesus has been tested by his many Spouses many times, just a thought

The Crescat said...

Jack... quit putting your vocation on me. :-P

Just another mad Catholic said...

I'm not trying to put my vocation on you Kat, I've accepted the fact that God is calling me to the Priesthood + Religious Life, that said I'll stop suggesting the religious life to you, ok?

The Crescat said...

compromise.... only when I nun gaze. M'kay? :-D

Adrienne said...

I have never, ever felt sorry for you. Ever! I have, however, felt sorry for anyone who may cross you. Now - that's scary and as it should be! ;-)

Just another mad Catholic said...

Deal

Denita said...

I admire your faith. Wish I had more of that.

Terry Nelson said...

When I asked "how do you do it alone?" I was talking about putting your make-up on while drinking vodka and tonics.
.
.
.

I AM SO KIDDING!!! - Don't get pissed again!

Anthony S. "Tony" Layne said...

I'd think I'd pity you more if you said you did it all by yourself. Many people don't realize how much help they get from others; I'm glad to see you suffer no such delusion.

3puddytats said...

Terry-- you crack me up :)

That reminds me of the not-so-distant past when my friends and I were out bar-hopping, and after a few Jack and Diet Cokes I went to the ladies room to "freshen up." Touch up my make-up and lipstick...

I came out looking like the Picasso painting "Girl before a Mirror"....

Adn none of my so-called friends said a thing..perhaps because they couldn't see straight either :)

Sara

Marco de Puna said...

Now, this is exactly why I read your blog - these special graces of insight really touch the heart of the matter. Grace and peace to you Kat. Many thanks for sharing your faith, life, struggles, joys, and general craziness that makes it all such as great adventure.

Rick said...

Re: "how my faith colors my perception." more like how faith enables you to see reality better - imho.

joan said...

And along with strengthening your faith, as you mentioned, God also gives us the grace to unite all our sufferings, big and small, to His sufferings.This allows us to be very close to our Lord. These penances shorten our purgatory,and can also be reparation for our sins and for the graces needed for the conversion of sinners.
Our lives are to lead us to union with Jesus, transforming our minds and hearts to be more like Him.Purifying,sanctifying grace when united with Jesus, is powerful and redeeming, and never wasted.Our prayers for others are invaluable.

Linda said...

Kat...this post was something I really needed today; Joan, your comments as well lifted me up. Thank you both. And Marco de Puna, you hit the nail on the head!

Ellyn said...

"pity the untested man" - the most profound thing I've read in a long, long time!

The Ironic Catholic said...

Cool.

Badger Catholic said...

Nicely said

G said...

I know senior citizens who have never 'gotten it'. I.e., they don't know that they don't & never have done it all by themselves... & that they are not & never have been alone.

Doesn't matter if you're married, single, professed, whatever...until our heart comes to know that "in Him, we live & move & have our being", we've missed it...& nothing makes us really happy.