Wednesday, June 23, 2010

why crescat is a silly happy place...

... during blogs darker period I was quick with a sharp edged retort and even quicker to pass judgment. Then one day I decided to no longer fan the flames of gossip, calumny and slander. I'm not in the scandal business anymore.

We claim we are doing a service for the Church, denouncing heretics and upholding canonical law like some self appointed pontiff. In reality prayer is the only proven beneficial service we can provide for the Church. With that in mind I give you this...
"What if you were the reason a person refused to come back to Christ? What if your self-righteous, judgmental, dogmatic, theologically correct attitude repelled a soul from accepting Church teaching, from reconciling with the Church, from faith itself? What if they were just on the edge of conversion and one of your contemptuous sneers, caustic remarks, or hostile snubs drove them away? That is one aspect of what Jesus is talking about when he warned against "scandalizing one of these little ones". " [quoted by Terry @ Abbey Roads]
I don't know about you, but millstones do not makes good accessories.

15 comments:

Elise said...

Yikes! I shall keep that in mind as I proceed blogging....

http://www.kissingtheleper.com

John (Ad Orientem) said...

That is a very sobering quote.

Joe (Defend Us In Battle) said...

That post hit me too... although I gave up the snarkiness a while ago. Mostly because I am not that witty.

question for the lay-dees:

What shoes does one wear with a MILLSTONE? I am assuming Crocs or something horrible like that?

The Crescat said...

birkenstocks are issued at the gates of hell.

Rick said...

Wow. Someone must have prayed real hard for the Catholic bloggers because I too came to the same conclusion last week when I was alone with God in a hospital bed.

http://divine-ripples.blogspot.com/2010/06/i-came-under-knife-and-back-again-with.html

Faith said...

Good for you. Read what the Pope has to say about the media:
"Those who are active in the production and dissemination of new media content, therefore, should strive to respect the dignity and worth of the human person. If the new technologies are to serve the good of individuals and of society, all users will avoid the sharing of words and images that are degrading of human beings, that promote hatred and intolerance, that debase the goodness and intimacy of human sexuality or that exploit the weak and vulnerable."
From the Holy Father's Message for 43rd World Communication Day, May 2009--worth a read.

Terry Nelson said...

Thanks Kat - I hope I keep my own resolutions.

Anthony S. "Tony" Layne said...

... I feel sheepish ....

s-p said...

...and from one so young.... God bless you! May God forgive me for my rightness all those years, and bless me with righteousness in His mercy.

Linda said...

Ouch. Thanks to Terry and Kat for the reminder. Yeah, I'd rather wear pearls than a millstone.

CJ said...

I always struggle drawing the line between the attitude the quote refers to and indifferentism.

nazareth priest said...

I've simply got to get less irritable and more spiritual.
Jesus, help me!

laurazim said...

THANK YOU for posting this. I needed it. +JMJ+

Dominic Mary said...

It's worth remembering S. Philip Neri's point . . . that when we say 'forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us' we are calling down a mountain of hideousness upon ourselves . . . because we don't, do we ? (Forgive them, that is.)

Brad Harvey said...

"In reality prayer is the only proven beneficial service we can provide for the Church."

Bless you, Kat! This might be your finest post.