Friday, July 30, 2010

I'm shocked, stunned, flabbergasted...

... again, not really.

Anne Rice is quitting "Christianity" after she reverted to Catholicism from Atheism... what, yesterday.

Rice said she was "out". "In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen," the author wrote. "But following Christ does not mean following His followers [or His Church???]. Christ is infinitely more important than Christianity and always will be, no matter what Christianity is, has been, or might become."

I'm sorry but it doesn't sound like she was "Christian" to begin, most certainly not a revert to Catholicism.

I'm waiting for Tony Blair to make a similar statement. Fr. Z has Oprah converting to one of us. Oh my. So much drama!


Perish the thought. I feel like I am channeling Terry for this post.


Coffee Catholic said...

Ooops. I guess Christianity was too hard.

And Anne Rice deffinately had no clue about the Catholic Faith if she thought that being Catholic requires one to be anti-gay.

Terry Nelson said...

Gosh - you did it better than I could - LOL! Best post ever!

Joe (Defend Us In Battle) said...

I feel like I have been channeling too.

which made me wonder if Vincenzo or Cathy has a mind control device and all the Minnesota kids are having a fun time messing with us.

What if Oprah comes back from Medjugorje a Catholic, but having been told that women priests or married priests are the answer to the problems of the Church?

Nod said...

OK, that Oprah bit was pretty funny.

Christopher Lake said...

I actually dialogued with Anne at some length, over the internet, earlier this year, on issues related to the Church, the media, and the sex abuse scandals. She seemed to want to be loyal to the Church, but she was reading The New York Times, The Guardian, Der Spiegel, and other newspapers which display a clear anti-Catholic bias.

Now, there is nothing *inherently* wrong in such reading, but there did seem to be a pronounced imbalance in her media intake. She wouldn't even admit that the Times *is* anti-Catholic, which I found amazing. I pleaded with her to read some Catholic sources which were reporting on the scandals but without headlines such as "Benedict's Failed Papacy" (that gem being from Der Spiegel). She kept posting from the NYT and such. It was saddening and frustrating.

However, I can honestly say that I did not expect her to make the move that she now has made. Perhaps I was naive. One cannot easily subsist on a diet of anti-Catholic venom without becoming poisoned by it. I pray that she returns Home, eventually, with a desire to follow the Church's authoritative teachings on faith and morals, despite the sins of the Church's members (including myself).

Gail F said...

I blogged about this myself --

Love the Church but hate Christians? Been there, done that. As I said in my blog, I think she expected all happiness and roses and found... people. You've gotta get over that to be a Christian! Cause they've been a pretty disappointing lot, all the way back to the Apostles. Christ doesn't make us perfect -- not in this life! He saves us because we NEED to be saved. Poor lady, I'm praying for her.