Thursday, July 29, 2010

perish the thought...

... in my job it is not uncommon for me to have to ask women if they have any children. A simple "yes or no" is all that would suffice in reply. For some reason this questions provokes some over emotional responses, most violently negative. It irritates me to no end for women to behave so stupidly. Yes, stupidly.

There is nothing appropriate about responding to my inquiry with gagging sounds, eye rolls, or an expletive or two. Children are not the enemy, nor is having them a death sentence.

Thank God not every woman feels this way...

9 comments:

Coffee Catholic said...

That's pretty sad :-(

Coffee Catholic said...

P.S.

What are you on Facebook? I'm "Michelle Therese" ... send me a friend request if you'd like!

I tried to do your wishlist thing for Amazon to send you a wee gifty but I have no idea how to do it. I'm clueless lol

missjeanevil said...

I don't understand it, either. Once in a while I have met women who think I'm another "childless by choice" and make a snide remark about someone with three children as if that's a herd. The ones who tell me that we're "saving the planet" are so full of it, since they live in family-sized homes and run up the utilities with all their electronics.

Athanasius contra mundum said...

Psalm 127 has it right. Children are a blessing from God.

Suburbanbanshee said...

Maybe you should start asking, "Do you have children, yes or no?"

Although that might not cut off the sound effects entirely, it would put some people into a mindset of factual answers. Open-ended questions are sometimes a bad thing. :(

The Crescat said...

coffee catholic, FB search The Crescat. I'm around.

Banshee... good idea. Thanks.

Coffee Catholic said...

Or maybe: "Yes or No: do you have children?"

I did search The Crescat. No dice.

I recently blogged about these "Childless by choice" folks. Their selfish choice is going to burden OUR kids with THEIR upkeep when they get old.

kkollwitz said...

I like the euphemism "Child Free."
"Slave to Self" would be more accurate.

John from Pomeroy on the Palouse said...

Coffee Catholic, try searching (using google, bing didn't do it) for "the crescat, facebook" no quotes.

Searching ON fb didn't find it for me either.

John