Thursday, August 05, 2010

I'm in love...

... with the Catholic Church!

What's not to love? She has everything. There is a feast day for every occasion, a patron saint to invoke for intercession from everything to cheese to menstrual cramps. There are even devotions galore to suit every spiritual type and need. You could never bore of Her or lament "I have nothing to do, nothing to read, and no one to pray for". If you do you aren't trying hard enough.

Oh, and She's diverse. There's room enough for every one here; poor and rich alike. Whatever your preference or area of expertise, you will find a place in the Catholic Church.

I know, this may seem like a contradiction to the post below. On the contrary, if anything it illustrates how completely unnecessary it is to tamper and tailor the liturgy of the mass. The Holy Sacrifice of the mass may the pinnacle of our faith, but our faith doesn't stop when we depart the narthex doors. It extends to the outside world and permeates our daily lives. Or at least it should.

I suppose if you regulate your faith to mass attendance only then I can see how you feel it justified to have masses to fit a specific worship style.

But if you are doing your Catholicism right, you can have your spiritual preferences manifested and fed through all the other endless sources the Church has to offer. There are lay groups in each religious order, prayer groups, social justice ministries, and Adoration... just to name a few.

Isn't the Church exciting!? Doesn't it just make you want to invite your non-Catholic friends and family to mass? Or recruit members to Her fold.

There's a reason why I'm called "The Poacher" in the company of friends.


Owen said...

Amen. One life changing decision (to convert from Protestantism to the true Church Jesus Instituted) a decade is enough for me so I will not be doing what one good friend called "the Eastern shuffle."

In the meantime myself and a few others are in the midst of a novena pertaining to the topic you raised the other post for the intercession of St. Catherine, doctor of the Church. If you choose to view it you'll see the portion we wrote ourselves for the "special petition" portion of the prayer. I think you'll see how it is germane.

God bless and God's peace be with you - yes, even at the Holy Mass ;-)

The Retail Girl said...

I love your enthusiasm but openly inviting friends to mass? Unfortunately I can't share in your fervor because so many people in California then brand you a zealot who is shoving personal beliefs down other people's throats. Lately I've been going through a very sad period of having a lot of unprovoked criticism ( well thats putting it lightly). Some people even think I'm wrong for wanting to baptize my child. I wonder if its just because I live in California that I experience such nastiness. I'm currently at a loss at how to deal with it except through prayer. Any thoughts? It is refreshing to see such joy though!

Andrea said...

LOL the poacher? Love it!

gretchen said...

Poach away, my friend! Earning souls for Heaven is a noble cause.

Nan said...

Retail girl, pardon my lack of charitable, I'm not very good at that, but CA needs to MIOB!

Have your child baptized. That's your decision. No need to get a second opinion from anyone but the Blessed Virgin Mary or perhaps St. John the Baptist.

It's always difficult when others criticize, especially when they're people you love who allegedly love you. It may be time for you to distance yourself from some of these people; I know that the closer I get to the church, the more people try to dissuade me, with offers of activities they believe to be enticing but which conflict with Mass, questioning what it is about me and church and a general lack of comprehension.

Christ called us to pick up our crosses and follow him. Be proud to number among the many criticized for doing so.

Did I mention the non-charitable? Because if it was me, I'd be telling those atheist, secular, pagan or whatever people who are trying to shove their beliefs down your throat to stop with their zealotry.

s-p said...

AND another perk is you can have a hifreakinlarious blog like yours. Try that in the Orthodox blogosphere... you'll be hanging on the left side of Jesus.

nazareth priest said...

Me. too.
For 33 years...I wouldn't be anything but Catholic.
The bishops, priests and faithful get on my nerves at times, sometimes VERY much,(and it may be mutual, I guess)...but there is nowhere else; it's Jesus' Church; Mary's Church; all the saints and angels are there.
Why would I go elsewhere?

Kerath25 said...

Amen! This is very close to what I keep telling all those people we meet who say they "stopped going to church because it was boring." Then they get a stack of books, a rosary and a hug!

Retail Girl, I know what you mean about people attacking you for loving your faith and taking it seriously. It's not just a CA thing and it comes from all corners. I know it's hard, but one who perseveres to the end will win the crown of life (Rev 2:10). Pray to St. Peter for faith in trying times. Aside from that, spend some time reading good blogs that will remind you that you are not alone.

Peace be with you!

Terry Nelson said...

Were you drunk when you wrote this?
I'm so kidding.

Gail F said...

Great post, I needed it this morning! So true. Unfortunately, depending where one lives, all the great things you wrote about can be drowned out (or it can seem that way) by the wacky goings-on of one's very own parish! My parish, as a case in point, seems intent on ignoring everything you wrote about, and indeed everything that makes being Catholic different from being Protestant. I know, I know, maybe I just need to find another parish. But it is maddening knowing all that there is to the Catholic Church -- its real breadth (every country in the world, 2000 years of physically dead but actually immortal members) and depth (in scholarship, holiness, art and architecture, common sense... you name it) in favor of the most shallow interpretations of liturgy, teachings, and social justice. It drives me INSANE. Of course the fullness and richness of the Catholic Church is always there, but it seems a bit much to expect everyone to find them "on their own time."

Just another mad Catholic said...

Is it just me or is the Bride of Christ just breathtakenly beautiful?

Daftpunkett said...

just want to say thank you to everyone, esp. reminding me to offer my prayers through St. Peter. That was a particularly hurtful day and I let the devil's rhetoric get the best of me. Its nice to know that there is an online community to go to. And no I don't think anyone was uncharitable about what they said! Sometimes we need a charitable shot in the arm. In the long run, I'm pretty lucky to have the church, not nearly as bitter as non catholics!
thanks again and blessings for all of you!

Mimi said...

Happy Feast Day!

Joe of St. Thérèse said...

Retail GIrl, I'm in Ca, experience the same thing...thank goodness for my if you're offended too bad policy on everything that i do

Christopher Lake said...

This wonderful post (bravo, Kat!) exemplifies many of the reasons why I can never go back to Protestant Christianity. Of course, the most important reason is Truth-- the Church is what she claims to be. Out of that Truth comes so many other great truths... Mary as the Mother of God (and, in that sense, the Mother of all Christians), the incredibly deep Catholic theology of suffering, the communion of saints, the great history of Catholic art, architecture, and literature... Catholicism is an ocean of Truth and Beauty, and by comparison, even the best of Protestantism now just seems... less... to me.

I am blessed to be in a parish with strong priests, a reverent Novus Ordo liturgy (though having Latin as an option, at least, would be nice!), and good homilies. I might not always be so blessed. If or when that time comes, I pray that I will be thankful for the incomparable gift that will still be there, of Christ in the Eucharist.

I do wonder, though, in a "not-so-healthy" parish-- is it best to stay and work for change, or find another parish? I've been pondering this question for some time. If I do find myself in a less-than-ideal situation, I don't necessarily want to be quick to parish-hop or parish-shop. Sometimes it must be done-- if heresy is being regularly preached and taught, I might fight for a while, but if there were no change over time, I would have to leave. However, there is *so* much of the "church-shopping" mentality in Protestantism, and I don't want to buy into a Catholic version of it.

Anna A said...


Here's my take on being in a challenging parish. First, when I move I look for the best one. (Not being a cradle Catholic, I'm used to looking for the best fit.)

Second, sometimes the friendlier parishes are not the most orthodox, and for me I would go for the friendliness. (I can get orthodox teaching on my own, I can't friends.)

And I sometimes pull what I call 2-fers, 2 Masses in one weekend at two different parishes.

Owen said...


"Second, sometimes the friendlier parishes are not the most orthodox"

I think this is an solid observation. (I'm a convert as well, and a former protestant minister.)

As for what one chooses to "go for", I agree it's an odd tension one must deal with. In my case I want my cake and eat it too, as it were. It's hard.

Christopher Lake said...

Anna, that is so terribly sad that the friendliest parishes are (sometimes) not the most orthodox. Maybe it's because in the less orthodox parishes, the focus is often more on the community of people, whereas in the more orthodox parishes, the focus is more on God? It seems awfully harsh to state the situation as such, but I wonder if that is close to the truth?

For me, unorthodox religious instruction helped to drive me *from* the Church, many years ago, so I avoid less orthodox parishes, if at all possible. It is hard, though, as Owen mentioned. I long for orthodoxy *and* fellowship in a parish... maybe I'm hoping for too much, given the seeming general state of Catholic parish culture in America... Why can't we be reverent in Mass *and* friendly afterward? In my parish, there is *some* fellowship after Mass, but it feels like high school to me... cliques, and I'm the odd man out... maybe things will be different in D.C. for me as a Catholic.