Tuesday, September 14, 2010

curb your cynicism...

... as defined by me, pessimism with a punch line.

Dymphna asked how to overcome cynicism. Excellent question. I honestly don't know. Everyday is a constant struggle to not jump to conclusions and assume the worst of motives from another individual. I doubt very seriously I will ever stop the natural inclination.

So instead of overcoming a cynical nature it would be more correct to say I curb my cynicism. It involves a constant reminder that there is no way I can know a situation well enough to properly judge. Then remember that judgement is not mine to make. Then finally, a third reminder that the measure I use to judge is the same measure which I will be judged. And there is a lot there to judge... I don't need help in that department.

Anyway, she asked. But in case you were really wondering, this was the defining moment.

9 comments:

Old Bob said...

My father had what I still think is a good rule: help someone who can't help himself, but don't lift a finger for someone who can help himself and won't.

Jackie said...

You have been awarded

Tim said...

One good way I've found is to hear my words of cynicism coming out of my sons mouth. Its heartbreaking to realize I've created a little cynic. And harder work trying to undo the damage.

The Crescat said...

Jackie... you say am I going soft? :-P

nazareth priest said...

That link to your conversation with the MC really "hit home"...
yes...
God only expects us to respond to the "distressing disguise of the poor"...what that individual does is beyond our responsibility; Christians/Catholics as enablers? (from a recent comment)...could be; probably.
But the real issue is: are we really willing to "give until it hurts"?
Really?
That is Christ's Love; because, as far as I'm concerned, He should have given up on me long ago.
Really.

doughboy said...

that was a great comment from the good sister. thanks for sharing.

Terry Nelson said...

Kat - very good advice.

BTW - Doughboy comments here but doesn't on my blog.

Dymphna said...

Thank you SO much for responding to my question! I am just now seeing this.

Your linked story really helps me put the good Sisters of Charity in perspective, especially since I've been seeing some horrible things about them posted on Facebook. NOW I understand that the reason they may not be *run* like a "charity" that is more a business, is that they are "giving until it hurts, with absolutely no strings attached.

And, the part about being judged by the standards we judge others--that is humbling and a good reminder.

Thanks so much!

Ginny said...

I think cynicism and sarcasm are two tough issues for me I know. A lot of great advice was given by all and I think they best way to handle it is to accept your weaknesses and do the best to curb the urges! And of course pray