Thursday, September 30, 2010

what's not to love...

... I absolutely love the surly imperfect saints. I guess because if they can reach sainthood so can we. Temperamental and argumentative, St. Jerome overcame his violent disposition through prayer and penance. The bible was of the utmost importance to him and he made an effort to read it daily. Which reminds me... I am ignorant of Christ.


Art by Van Cleve c. 1524

Collect: Father, you gave Saint Jerome delight in his study of holy Scripture. May your people find in your word the food of salvation and the fountain of life. We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

8 comments:

Mark Scott Abeln said...

When Jerome was tempted against purity, he would study Hebrew.

He became one of the greatest Hebrew scholars.

nazareth priest said...

Yes, absolutely.
I can so relate to St. Jerome.
I'm a "red-headed" partial Irishman.
Freckles and all.
Although the red is hidden now (it got dark in my youth; it is now white or gone now)...
my temperament is still "irascible", although my English background holds it in reserve until I'm really p***** as hell.
St. Jerome, pray for us "red-heads" and all those who struggle with anger! We love you!

Rick said...

So, is that the skull of someone whom he "argued with" before his conversion?

Ginny said...

I also like the idea that we all can relate to those "less than perfect" saints. I need all the encouragement I can get! BTW I did the mayo in the hair trick once.The result was very similar, lol never again

Denita said...

I wieh I knew if the Saints were ever jealous. I need a saint to pray to to help me overcome my jealousy of a friend.

Christopher Lake said...

I can relate, Kat. I have so, so much room to grow... thank God that He is patient. (This may be my favorite post on The Crescat thus far. Thank you.)

Mary MacArthur said...

Denita, Saint Hippolytus was very much jealous of Saint Zephyrinus and Saint Callixtus and wrote a lot of calumny about them, since they got elected Pope and he didn't. He even became the first antipope. But the Romans sent him to the salt mines where he repented and was reconciled with Pope Saint Pontian, also sent there by the Romans, and they both became martyrs. Definitely a very imperfect saint- showing us the greatness of God's mercy. If an antipope can become a saint, surely we can!

Rick said...

FYI, snatched your pic and posted at http://www.divine-ripples.blogspot.com/