Wednesday, November 17, 2010

angels and the exorcist...

... last week I traveled to Briscoe NC to hear an exorcist speak at Our Lady of the Americas parish. I wasn't really sure what to expect, sensationalized ghost stories maybe. I'll admit it, my morbid curiosity compelled me to make the almost two hour drive to hear Fr. Jose Antonio Fortea. I mean, how often do you get to hear an exorcist give a talk?

There seemed to be a genuine desire amongst the people in attendance to hear some one talk about and acknowledge the very real existence of evil and Satan. It's a reality that is rarely addressed in homilies. Most view a belief in the supernatural as ignorant superstition and thinking that demonic forces can directly affect us is just plain crazy talk.

Fr. Fortea explained that true demonic posession is very rare but strongly cautioned against evil influences in our lives. He stressed the importance of an active prayer life and said to protect us ourselves we must invoke the angels, especially our guardian angels.

I don't think I've been particularly devoted to my angel in the past, but that's about to change.


Art by Albrecht Dürer.

6 comments:

Jessica of Faustina Farm said...

Been lurking on your blog for a bit. I had to come out of hiding to ask you about the image on this post. I really like it. The last two years of my life I have been engaged in serious spiritual battle and have developed a soft spot for angels engaged in battle.

The Watcher said...

I think people are beginning to realize that true evil needs a perpetrator - it just doesn't exist in a vacuum. I also think that folks are seeing that our modern society hasn't an explanation for why some folks perpetrate evil on others, but they remember (or it's hard-wired into them) that religion has an explanation - that there's an individual who embodies evil and coerces humans to be his puppets.

It might also have something to do with Occam's Razor - science says evil is caused by this and this and this and that and this and that and we-really-don't-know-what-else; Judeo-Christianity says ... evil entered the world through Adam's Fall and is the constant effort of the Prince of this World.

Simple answer.

Pablo said...

The problem with the actual study of demons is that, for our intents, the information is full of theological errors. In other words, you will be up against heathen legend vs. Christian theology. It would be very difficult to sort it all out on your own.

St. Albert the Great has some advice for you: "It is taught by the demons, it teaches about the demons, and it leads to the demons."

"...It might also have something to do with Occam's Razor - science says evil is caused by this and this and this and that and this and that and we-really-don't-know-what-else;..."

Science cannot measure Darkness; yet it exists.

Science cannot prove Cold exist. Science can only measure the absence of Heat. It cannot measure Cold.

God can trace the flight of an eagle.

God created all of us.

Even those that seek scientific answers and intellectual solutions to everything.

Evil began with the first word ever uttered; Nonserviam.

*

. said...

I am very devout of my Angel and I'm always talking to him. He can protect us against the devil but is also good on being just our friend, someone with whom we can talk. Mine helps me get off of depression and worries. He's the best friend one can have.

Mark of the Vineyard said...

The portuguese translation of Fr. Fortea's most recent book came out a few months ago in my country. It's a very straightforward book, witha Q&A structure. Though I've only skimmed through it, what I read there is interesting and frightening!

Hilary Jane Margaret White said...

Give him a name. I named mine, and it has encouraged me to think of him as a real person.

I just started by apologising: "I'm sorry about this, and I realise it's not really your name, but since you're not about to tell me what it is, and it seems cheeky to just call you nothing..."

Now I talk to him all the time.

Not that it does me the slightest good...