Thursday, February 10, 2011

on blissful ignorance...

... It is best for you to be ignorant, my child, about many things, considering yourself as dead to this world, and one to whom all the world is crucified. Let many things you hear go in one ear and out the other, focusing your mind on those things which pertain to your peace.

It is also more profitable for you to look the other way from such things as displease you, leaving to everyone to hold the opinion that seems best, rather then enter into heated disputes. If you are concerned only with God's view in the matter and are pleasing in His sight, you will consider it a small thing to be worsted in an argument.

Book 3, Chapter 44, Imitation of Christ.

A nice little reminder, you know... in case I start to get short sighted again.

9 comments:

Old Bob said...

Dear Kat, I've tried reading The Imitation many times over the last 30 (or 40?) years, and this reading is the first that's sinking in. I guess I wasn't ready for it. This is by way of saying "good for you" for reading and heeding it! Best wishes!!

Kelly said...

I am quite obviously, not imitating Christ.

Natasa said...

I really, really needed this. Thank you. I think it's time for me to read the whole thing.

Rick said...

I don't know about the milieu when the Imitation was written. I do know that here and now, in the democratic public square in the USA, the Christian/human truth need to inform public opinion so that just laws and policies be enacted. To retreat in blissful ignorance, to be oblivious, is to be remiss or to reneg our Confirmational commitment to be witnesses of Christ. Such dettachment is proper to monks and nuns who spend their lives in isolation but not for those who are called to duke it out with the forces of evil in the world. I may be wrong but the recent teachings of the Holy Father seems to be aligned with my position. ;D

Piotrek said...

Eh, what does à Kempis know? He ain't even a real saint. Gimme a quote from the patron saint of online etiquette, maybe then I'll listen.

:P

doughboy said...

oh so so true.

Denita said...

I will be preparing to make the deMontfort Consecration to Our Lady soon, and The Imitation of Christ is required reading for it. Pray that I make it this time. BTW, Piotrek, isn't St. Isidore the patron of online etiquette?

Owen said...

Thank you for affirming my continuing absence (though not total absence obviously) from the blogosphere.

Nana said...

I ,too, really needed to read that. it is confirmation for me about God 's dealing with me in certain areas of my life! Let's look at the bigger picture!