Tuesday, March 08, 2011


... The Boy made his first reconciliation yesterday evening. His little faced was beaming when he received absolution. In fact, all the children there practically skipped back to their pew to do penance. It reminded me of my first reconciliation... the jitters and nerves and the absolute feeling of joy at hearing the words "I absolve you."

There were a couple of light hearted moments last night, like my son's fear that the priest would wash his mouth out with soap if he confessed to saying a bad word. My favorite was his astute observation that confession can't be all that bad because, after all, I go all the time.


Mimi said...

I laughed at the image of Father washing kids' mouths out with soap.
Congratulations to your son! Many Years!

berenike said...

This is the first time in my entire life I have ever heard (or read) someone say "First Reconciliation". And I just took the wee out of someone for going on about how it is supposed to be called "reconciliation" instead of "confession", and you're normal, so I can't use the "yeah, she doesn't count" explanation.

See you?

TCN said...

OH, it's the most wonderful thing! Can you imagine the joy of the priest who gets to hear First Confessions? Our priest is a wonderful guy who has taken a lot of heat for his stand on altar boys only, etc., but he was sure smiling after First Confession a couple of weeks ago.

Nod said...

Congratulations to The Boy! That's awesome and should be celebrated!

newguy40 said...

How wonderful for you and your son.

I sure wish I could remember my first confession. (I can say it was confession and not reconcilliation because that is what we called it in 1968).

I did my first First Saturday Devotion this month. Followed by "Reconcilliation" and Mass. I was so pleased to offer up my reconcilliation for the reparation of sins. The first devotion was a singular experience for me. Wonderful!

Cruise the Groove. said...

What a great joy for your son and you!
Free from the guilt of sin and spiritually stengthened to fight further sin!

I recall my first confession in 1972, the day before I recieved God in the Blessed Sacrament.
It was to an older Lithuanian priest who barely spoke English.
I don't think he understood my sins, but that didn't matter because he gave me absolution.
It was the older form Latin absolution and I remember walking with my head in the clouds after my first Sacrament of Confession!

Cathy_of_Alex said...

It was First Reconciliation (yeah, the 70s) when I went first and, honestly, it was horrible. Drecky and I'm OK your OK. No Confessional, no screen, just Father Groovy sitting in a green leather chair. I went one more time after that and then it was 15 years until I went again. Thanks be to God that most Catholic kids today are getting the authentic teaching I didn't.

I go a lot too now. See ya in line!

Ebeth said...

My kids think I need to go more often!!

Therese Z said...

I wish I remembered mine like I remember my first Holy Communion.

I do remember practicing with Sister with a mock confessional, a chair for her, a kneeler for us, and a board in between. I think we all got the same formula to practice with, "I disobeyed my mother and I lied" which wasn't all that far off what our real sins were anyway.

I do remember sliding down the pew as each kid approached the confessional.

It's the hardest thing for me to do, I don't go enough.

Christopher Lake said...

I commented on your Facebook wall already, but a BIG congratulations to the Boy and to you again! It's a paradox-- the moms who go to Confession "all the time" just might be some of the best moms!

NiceLady said...

We I was young, I was taught that it was the "Sacrament of Penance" and we went to "confession". Later, when the term, "reconciliation" was used every which way, I finally read something that clarified it for me.
The sacrament is still properly called The Sacrament of Penance. The WAY we do it is called The Rite of Reconciliation." So the more appropriate term would be "first penance", but of course most people call it "first confession".