Sunday, May 01, 2011

Roma ... day 2

... hopefully, I will have photos up to accompanying these posts. As I types, 345 photos are being uploaded to my photobucket account. For your viewing pleasure, well for the pleasure of my female readers, there a quite a few nice shots of the motlo bello Swiss Guard and Italian military in various ranks. Momma mia!

For my second day in Rome I took the train to stazione San Piedro... Frist stop, The Vatican. Navigating the streets is fairly if you remember Roma Rule #2 Always Look Up! From there you can follow various landmarks around to your destination. That, and there are some amazing frescoes and stone to behold on just about every building.

I didn't come into St. Peter's Square the traditional route. I sort of stumbled in through the side. This had a profound effect. Instead of coming up the main route and having St. Peter's slowly rise before my eyes I was gobsmacked with a simple turn of the corner. I practically tripped into the Square and there it was...

The most extraordinary thing happened. I sat down and wept. While I sat there like a blubbering fanatic a group of French Fransican nuns came pouring in beside me. They were all laughter and girlish chatter until they stopped and realized where they were... like me, they stumbled in the side street. Immediately they started hugging while simultaneously laughing and crying. They sat down and joined me for a good cry. It was a good ten minutes before we noticed the line quickly growing longer by the second and we jumped in finding our place.

It was the shortest three hours I ever stood in line.

There was just too much to take in. The sights; children chasing pigeons, nuns and priests harrying too and fro, the Square itself and the media buzzing about. The sounds were just as multifaceted. There were choirs of chanting youth, people blowing horns [yes, even a vuvuzela for good measure], singing seminarians and people praying the rosary in every language.

The excitement was not just your typical tourist excitement, but pilgrim excitement. A huge universal family reunion of all Catholics coming home.

I have to stop here, but will pick up with the experience of St. Peter's itself and the Vatican museum... and some funny anecdotes about Roman transit and things that don't quite translate. And Rome Rule #3... it's a special one that has served me quite well.

21 comments:

Badger Catholic said...

Thank you for posting, made my day!

Rosemary said...

Ditto!!!

The Little Way said...

I'm so happy for you that you finally made it. I have heard so many people say that upon entering St. Peter's, the only they could do was sit down and weep. God-willing, I will find out for myself in September. Look forward to seeing your photos.

MCK said...

This sounds so awesome!! I was there around this time of year five years ago. Be careful... Vatican City pigeons will still poop on you. Speaking from experience! Enjoy your trip!m

Ann said...

We want to see some photos of you! With a Swiss Guard!

Dvora said...

I pulled an all-niter to keep vigil with you, Kat. I cannot imagine a more surreal experience... and, I understand completely about the grand surprise when you enter the piazza via one of the side entrances. The vista overcomes you and touches you profoundly, nel profundo del cuore!

My prayers continue to accompany you every step of your way, and I'm simmering our Scrabble games on the back burner. Buon giro!

therese rita said...

Well,Kat, when I went to St Peter's the 1st time in '05 I did the same thing exactly. My brother the Jesuit was living at the NAC at the time & so St Peters was his backyard literally. When we walked into the Square he was just talking away & I just had to put up my hand & stop him & sat down & cried. I did the same thing when I got within a couple of feet of B16 a few yrs later. Couldn't stop myself from bursting into tears & the lady right next to me did the same thing! Must be a grace...

Cathy_of_Alex said...

I'd cry too.

Smiley said...

im crying too i think its called envy

nazareth priest said...

Glad to hear of your experiences in Rome. It is very overwhelming, no matter how many times, to be at St. Peter Basilica; at Cardinal Burke's installation last November I was taken with the sense of being "outside of time and place" being there in the midst of so much history.
Enjoy!

s-p said...

I am so jealous, hopefully in a holy way. I'm looking forward to your travelogue. God willing some day I will get to weep in St. Peter's Square.

Owen said...

I felt like that at St. Joseph's Oratory in my own country during the 49th International Eucharistic Congress pilgrimage so I can only imagine what I'd be like in Rome - and I imagine imagine is all I'll ever be able to do.

God bless your time there.

Denita said...

Yes, I envy you, too, but I'm so glad you're finally there! If I ever go, I hope I'll be able to cry, too.

Terry Nelson said...

Kat - I'm so happy for you - I am really. Don't pay any attention to my silly post.

Laura said...

When you get home, we have to get together over coffee - I'm so happy for you I could bust, and I also have tears, reading your post (and I NEVER cry). God bless you, dear friend!

chelle said...

hello k! I wanted an update on your adventure so I looked you up online. Sounds like you are having a fine time. Stay Safe...can't wait for the pix. I don't know if you got my message but I really need you to say a prayer for me over there. I'm having a LP in a week, it's where they stick a giant needle in between your vertebrae, luckily I will have my friend from CT there. I know this trip was one of your dreams- I'm so happy for you!

Best Reagards-
your friend from Richmond whose name rhymes with My Belle according to the Beatles...

Mary O'Regan said...

Hi! Great to have met you at the blogmeet. I just added your blog to my list. Happy blogging, and God bless you and your son always, With prayers, Mary

priest's wife said...

sounds so wonderful!

I remember my first time walking into the Vatican- I really felt HOME

Pope John Paul's hand touched mine during the general audience when he walked around- electricity- you could tell he was filled with the Holy Spirit!

Ann said...

Am I the only one seeing 99 photos instead of 345? That's OK, Kat. We'll wait until yu get back. God bless you!

The Perpetual Malcontent said...

She's here:

http://sqpn.com/sqpn-live/

Marco de Puna said...

How do I view Kat's photos on photobucket?