Wednesday, July 20, 2011

know your audience...

... so it would seem the majority of readers are females [59%] aged 26-49 [71%] and overwhelmingly Catholic [94%]. I was pleasantly surprised to have so many male readers [41%]. You know, I worry.

This worry, at times, inhibits me from posting on certain topics; like shoes and pretty frocks, but mostly on relationships and other personal matters.

Hence, the poll; I didn't want to bore you all to death. I am curious though, what are some of your favorite aspects to Blog? I'd love your feedback.

In the meantime, since I now know girly is the majority, let the girly commence...



Pantyhose.

Apparently Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge has brought them back into fashion. I didn't know they went out of fashion. Like so many trends, just wait a decade and they will come back.

But pantyhose, really? I don't consider that a trend, more of a proper fashion necessity. That's like saying bras are out of fashion. Decorum just calls for them in any professional setting. Work, church, weddings ... it's a wardrobe standard for a women who wants to looks polished and dressed up.

Oh, I forgot. No one dresses up anymore.

I remember my first pair of Legg's pantyhose. I was 13, and along with shaving, this event marked my departure from being a little girl. Remember when boys would get their first pairs of long legged trousers, no longer having to wear shorts? This marked their entry into manhood. Of course there was the practical, all that hemming saved as young boys grew and wasted fabric to cover the legs on rambunctious sons who would wear through the knees as they crawled and played.

Pantyhose are about dressing like a woman. A grown up. And that should never ever be "out of fashion". I despise it when I see women, well into their 50's, wearing the most gawd awful age inappropriate clothes in some vain attempt to clutch at youth. What happened to aging gracefully?

And men. I once had dinner with a 42 year old man who showed up for our date in ripped jeans, flip flops and a stained Weezer T-Shirt. And no, we were not going to a Weezer concert later. I'm not sure what compelled this grown man of 42, who would be dining with a 35 year old woman, to think it was appropriate or impressive to dress like a 20 year old kid for our date.

All throughout the meal I couldn't help thinking that this was a not a man to be taken seriously. I never returned his calls. I am looking for a spouse. A man. Not an developmentally arrested man-boy who advertises the part by his attire.

If women dressed like ladies then I suppose we would have to start acting like them. And if men dressed like gentleman... well, you know.

As a single Catholic woman, I long for the days of clearly defined statuses like adulthood and gender. Things that should have never gone out of fashion.

Oh, and before you balk about how hideously uncomfortable hosiery is consider they hide a multitude of flaws. You can skip shaving for a day or two, they mask those shaving nicks, and add a little color to those pale Irish legs.

26 comments:

Helene said...

And if you get the control top, they diminish a multitude of jiggles. And that is a good thing.

Gayle said...

Isn't Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge classy!!!

Steven John Bosco said...

If women dressed like ladies then I suppose we would have to start acting like them. And if men dressed like gentleman... well, you know.

You said it! Our culture loves to shirk responsibility. It wants freedom without any of the responsibilities it entails.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on this. Even if we do not wear pantyhose, those of us with dead white legs are encouraged to wear "bronzer" (body makeup), which at least as expensive if not more than hose, not to mention we then have to worry about it rubbing off on our clothing. Nobody said it was easy being a girl.

Since you asked, I like it when you discuss your parish. My parish is new (we merged with a neighboring parish last year - our diocese is downsizing). We are doing a lot of adjusting and give-and-take, and sometimes the personalities in the mix are a bit much (although we do have an awesome pastor - thank you Bishop Lennon!)

God bless you, and good luck with the gents.

Susan from Akron

Anonymous said...

...and shorts on grown men who aren't on the beach!

Alix said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I totally agree: any professional or formal occasion requires hosiery. Brava to you and the duchess!

I don't really get why people say it is so uncomfortable, anyway... it certainly gives you shoes longer life, and has the advantage of *ahem* smoothing one's silhouette... not to mention that my legs are apparently un-tannable, so they spare everyone who has to see my inch or two of ankle :)

BurgoFitzgerald said...

Thank you so much, Kat, for this post. It isn't about the pantyhose; it is about the fact that no one really makes an effort anymore. Some friends of mine say that stockings/hosiery/pantyhose are uncomfortable and just plain wrong. This is coming from women who get Brazilian waxes, anal waxing and bleaching, and colon cleansing. Oh! And they do all of this stuff that I would consider more "uncomfortable and just plain wrong" to wear lululemon yoga pants and $5.00 flip flops everywhere...and I do mean everywhere.

And if my pale Irish legs were any paler they would be clear!

Fran said...

I applaud your bravery in posting this. It troubles me how very casual we are as a culture--anything goes, even at Mass. And in the workplace things are awful--lace camisoles which expose cleavage, tight low cut jeans, yoga pants, sweats, etc. It seems every day is "dress-down" day and without boundaries.

A man who can't dress properly for work or church shouldn't be given a second look.

NBW said...

I also yearn for men and women to dress more elegantly. The older crowd especially. There is so much perpetual adolescence going around. In the summer I cringe when I am by the beach; the scandalous bathing suits, the attitude, and tattoos galore; even grandma's proudly wearing their tattoos!

Elizabeth said...

Bravo!
I hope Catherine has more influence on fashion than Diana had, and she had a lot! Amazing that people are so annoyed at "having" to wear hose or even proper shoes but then do all that waxing and tanning and hair dying...My daughters and I have taken to wearing skirts and dresses at all times (well sometimes not for sleep) it is amazing how easy it is to do (especially because I can sew)...I just added outer skirts in knit fabrics to all of my shorts that I actually looked really lousy in...I made slits in the sides so I could still use the pockets! Now I throw on a cute skirt and top in the morning and I am no more put out than the average sweat wearing shlub...but it looks a lot nicer!
BTW: attended a family wedding last Sat....WHO TOLD EVERYONE that they should wear tight, strapless minidresses???? I spent the whole night trying to avoid seeing a wardrobe malfunction ;p
YIKES!

Terry Nelson said...

Ripped and torn hose can be attractive as well.

" In olden days a glimpse of stocking. Was looked on as something shocking..."

Bes Truman

Denita said...

I agree with this post; one can still dress properly, even in hot Texas summers. It just takes a little effort on our part.

Anonymous said...

zzzzzzzzzz

Blair said...

All I can say is, YES. I'm a 20 year old college student and get made fun of (only by "adults" not by my peers) all the time about wearing hosiery. But, I see absolutely no alternative! What am I going to do, wear socks with my flats? I think not.

Anyway, thanks for posting this. Amen.

Just another mad Catholic said...

And what may I ask is wrong with wearing shorts in settings other than the beach?

I have at least 2 (maybe 3) pairs of three quarter length shorts which are very good for wearing at home if I'm doing nothing in particular, good when the mercuary hits 60 degrees and excellent for cycling in.

Maryjohn said...

Re: dressing like a lady at church...

My mantra has always been that since the church is the Bride of Christ, we should dress as though we are going to a wedding...dress,pumps,hose, hat. For men - a suit, or trousers and jacket.

Of course, now at weddings, guests wear tiny strapless minis, and less in some cases!

New benchmark. If I knew that Jesus was sitting right there in the church, what would I wear to meet him? Would I wear my worst clothing, assuming that He wouldn't care? That may be true - maybe He would only care that I cam to see Him. However, wouldn't he be happy if I made the effort to honor Him by making an effort and wearing my best? If my best is jeans and a clean shirt, so be it, but if I leave my nice dress in the closet because I am too lazy or thoughtless to change, then maybe it isn't so good.

I have seen micro shorts and halter tops at Mass - and all that telegraphs is "I HAD to come to Mass, but I have no intention of any deeper consideration on the subject".

Then of course - there is the whole idea of not becoming an occasion of sin for somebody else.

So many things to consider.

For me and my house, we will worship the Lord, and we will take the time to wear our best to honor Him in His house.

Kat - the comment about dressing like a lady and thus acting more like one is sooooooo true. I too hope that Katherine, Duchess of Cambridge inspires fashion!

Cliff said...

Kat, it is your blog. Not ours. You do what you want with it and just be your hilarious self. PS I enjoy a little "girly" posts every once in a while. Helps the guys spy on the "other side"

Jacque said...

I love your sacastic sense of humor, but I also love the fact that you try to write about your struggle with being a good Christian in this world. I don't always agree with what you write but I think you are always sincere, and I appreciate it.

I don't do a lot of commenting because my spelling is ... well, really bad, and most of the time someone else has already posted what I would like to say.

BTW, I remember my first pair of hose... yes pair of hose not pany hose. We had to use those uncomfortable garter belts. Panthose are great!

ok, now you know I'm a dinosaure

Paul Stilwell said...

What is a pantyhose?

Anonymous said...

Don't forget the blessings of the control top ... my main reason for wearing them for dress-up. Right with you on middle-aged folks trying to look 25 ... sigh.

Anonymous said...

pantyhose--i do not like those at all--wearing them is torture (or penance). I would wear a skirt to the ankle always rather than put on pantyhose

Cristero said...

Hey, "Island In The Sun" by Weezer is one of my favourite songs.

The Crescat said...

And I've seen Weezer in concert 3xs but I wouldn't wear their T-shirts on a date.

Anne M. said...

I never wear hose. Too uncomfortable. Control top feels like it is trying to cut me in half. Not to mention that in middle age I am HOT all the time. I wear long skirts with bike shorts underneath. I don't think anyone needs to wear hose to look professional.

TCN said...

Panty hose, no. You go through so many pairs when you have young children that it just isn't sensible. Long skirts, and then in the winter, tights to stay warm. I might break out hose if I'm going to a wedding in the summer or if I have to wear a shorter dress for some reason, but otherwise, no.

Don't get me started on women wearing pants all the time, particularly to Church. Might as well wear a poncho and try to say the Mass for father. Just don't go there.

Anonymous said...

I live in Texas, and the day I stopped wearing pantyhose is the day I started going to Mass a happy woman, instead of gritting my teeth. And, in other news, this comment thread just proves that we have a problem with severely overly opinionated people today. Pants? Absolutely not. Puhlease.